POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Interesting Effect : Re: Interesting Effect Server Time
8 Aug 2024 06:20:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interesting Effect
From: George Pantazopoulos
Date: 7 Sep 2005 18:40:01
Message: <web.431f6b7923fcac0866e2d7a50@news.povray.org>
Xplo Eristotle <xpl### [at] infomagicnet> wrote:
> Mike Raiford wrote:
>
> > Radiosity + Glass = Soft caustics.
> >
> > I had no idea Radiosity lead to a photon-like effect. I remember someone
> > a while back positing an image that had caustics caused by radiosity,
> > but I thought it was a modification to POV-Ray.
>
> I posted such an image a long time ago.. a room interior with a big
> reflective sphere in it. I doubt that's the one you mean, though.
>
> -Xplo

Original post here:
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C418129b4%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=203630&toff=100

He means the image I posted, using one of Tim Nikias' scenes. For an
experiment I was doing, I modified POV-Ray so that it would calculate
radiosity for every pixel (first bounce), and then essentially do path
tracing for subsquent bounces.

Disabling the irradiance caching feature prevented fine details in the
"caustics" from getting smoothed out and lost, at the expense of longer
rendering times, and graininess. (However, It also made it much easier to
parallelize a radiosity render!)

George
http://www.gammaburst.net